It is essential that you choose the right combination of subjects for your chosen career path.
Throughout your time in our Sixth Form, you will have a Tutor responsible for monitoring your progress and providing on-going support.
During your timetabled careers lessons you will receive bespoke careers advice, to ensure that you are placed at the best university for your degree course that will lead you onto your chosen career path.
Our Head of Careers offers one-to-one counselling sessions, and will also be pleased to arrange meetings with parents by appointment, to discuss and encourage high aspirations. Work placement opportunities are identified and encouraged.
University Preparation Days
At the end of Year 12, students attend a series of university preparation days which cover interview practice, university applications, first aid, personal safety, communications workshops, cooking and driving.
All applications are carefully monitored by the Head of Careers together with Sixth Form Tutors and Senior Management.
For those considering Oxbridge, additional guidance and preparation is given.
There is an opportunity to meet with university admissions tutors at our Higher Education Evening.
In order to prepare Royal Russell students for a wide range of interview scenarios, we run a series of workshops hosted by ‘Elocute!’.
To ensure all students are able to take advantage of this opportunity, courses are repeated throughout the year. ‘Elocute!’ aims to provide clear and structured training that prepares students for all interview settings, and students will cover the following areas over a five-week-course:
- Diction, articulation and clarity of speech
- How to prepare for an interview: Everything that students need to know before they attend
- Interview demeanour and decorum: How students should conduct themselves in an interview
- How to contend with nerves
- Identifying skills and personal attributes that students can highlight at the time of interview
- The ability to categorise questions and understand their purpose
- The ability to provide clear, logical, structured and coherent answers to any interview question.